A suicide attack on a convoy of military vehicles belonging to the NATO-led Resolute Support mission during the morning rush hour in Kabul on Wednesday killed four people and wounded 22, public health officials in the Afghan capital said.
There was no immediate word on whether any foreign troops had been hurt in the attack, which hit a group of armoured personnel carriers designed to withstand large blasts.
Interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish confirmed the blast targeted “a convoy of foreign forces passing the area”. “We are checking the details,” he told AFP. A health ministry spokesman verified the toll, but could not say whether the victims were foreign soldiers or civilians.
The blast, which security officials at the scene said was a suicide attack, also destroyed or badly damaged a number of civilian vehicles nearby.
The attack follows a threat by the Taliban to target foreign forces in the spring offensive that it launched last week.
Witnesses said traces of blood and clothing could be seen on the ground at the blast site. Kabul television stations earlier reported that at least three people had been killed.
The heavily armoured MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicles that coalition forces use to travel in Kabul appeared to have suffered only relatively minor external damage, witnesses said.
There was no immediate comment from the Resolute Support mission in the capital